Regional test laboratory of an engineering profile «Scientific center of radio ecological researches»
In 2007 within state program 10 engineering profile laboratories were founded in higher education institutions of Kazakhstan, in 2008 another 5 laboratories were established. One of these laboratories for 200 million tenge was organized in Shakarim State University of Semey according to the grant of Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Laboratory of engineering profile was opened in March of 2008. According to order № 69 of university laboratory changed its title to the laboratory of an engineering profile «Centre of science of radio ecological researches» (CSRER).
The laboratory is housed in separate building with 850,2m² area on the territory of Shakarim State University of Semey. Total area of laboratory facilities is 232m².
Regional test laboratory of an engineering profile «Centre of science of radio ecological researches» of Shakarim State University of Semey was certified in accreditation system of the Republic of Kazakhstan to meet requirements of ST RK ISO/IEC 17025-2007 “General requirements for competence of testing and calibration laboratory” and certificate was handed on 24th of January 2013.
Mission of laboratory is a conducting applied researches in radiation safety of food, construction materials, environment objects; offering high-quality laboratory services at the reasonable prices. We use advanced equipment, thus we increase productivity and efficiency of all research stages, analytical development and quality control of provided services.
The quality policy of laboratory is oriented on achieving high quality in research conduction, getting reliable information about quality coefficient of objects, an appraisal of these coefficients with established requirements, ensuring confidence in the activity of laboratory.
Centre of science of radio ecological researches aspire:
- to create facilities for staff, which will give opportunity to develop professional skills, provide realization of their creative potential;
- effectively use facilities of laboratory for preparing postgraduates and doctorates;
- to develop scientific potential of staff, pedagogical collective, postgraduates and PhD candidates of university through participation in fundamental and applied researches on priority research guidelines;
- to advance staff by passing scientific trainings in leading laboratories of country and abroad;
- to increase scientific reserves of laboratory by publication of research results in journals with high impact factor and owning innovative patents.
Main guideline of laboratory activity
The laboratory activity directed at studying of radionuclide contamination of coating surface of soil, also ground and underground waters, ways of radionuclide transmission to biological objects, their accumulation in animal and plant raw materials, bioindicator detection and developing remediation methods in North-East part of Kazakhstan, also improving medical-biological and social-ecological factors, which have influence on qualitative level of life activity of people.
Main tasks of laboratory are:
- monitoring of radioecological situation;
- detecting the transmission chain of radionuclides from environment objects to biological objects, from source of radiation pollution to animal killing products;
- determining radiation storability in food products, their radioactive contamination level depending on remoteness from center of nuclear test site;
- developing production technology of food with radioprotective function;
- developing set of measures in radiological safety;
- remediation of soil and water in North-East part of Kazakhstan;
- training specialists in radioecology.
Staff of Centre of science of radio ecological researches
Chief of laboratory – Sergazy Turlybekovich Dusembaev, Doctor of Veterinary Science, professor.
Deputy administrator – Nadir Kadyrovich Ibragimov, Candidate of Technical Science, Docent.
Specialist of high qualification, engineer – Nazym Kabdulkhamitovna Omargalievna, chemist.
Master specialist – Dilraba Etukhanovna Iminova, chemist.
Master specialist – Aimara Serikbekovna Anuarbakova, Master of Veterinary sciences.
Specialist – Saniya Kanapyanovna Bedyarova, physicist.
Specialist – Marzhan Ertaevna Mukhamedzhanova, physicist.
Specialist – Marzhan Ertaevna Mukhamedzhanova, physicist.
Consultant – Alexander Ivanovich Pashkevich, physicist, spectrometry-specialist.
Department of electron microscopy is for studying structure and elemental composition of samples. Main equipment:
JSM-6390 LV scanning electron microscope (manufactured by “JEOL”, Japan) and INCA ENERGY 250 X-ray spectrometry microanalysis system (manufactured by OXFORD INSTRUMENTS, Great Britain). Device has high resolution, also it supports high-vacuum and low-vacuum modes. Low-vacuum mode gives opportunity to study not only solid and powder-like substances, but biological objects too.
Determination structure of biological objects and environment objects of non-biological origin with resolution from 30 to 300000 times (liquid and oily substances are not analyzed).
INCA ENERGY 250 X-ray spectrometry microanalysis system allows determination of structure and chemical compound of studied objects with 0.1% accuracy, to observe peculiarities of material structure, conditioned by compound, heat record, heat treatment regime, influence of nucleators and crystallization modificators. It identifies crystal phases, particle and crystal sizes, quantitative ratio of crystal and amorphous phases, accurate determination of particular spectrum emitter, electron image, bar charts, diagrams and spectrums, which characterize chemical compound of object under observation. During research of materials it is possible to make mapping by zones of chemical element distribution.
It determines qualitative and quantitative elemental compound of periodic table from Na to U with 0.1% accuracy, and with mapping by zones of chemical element distribution on surface of examined sample.
Department of gamma spectrometry, which is meant for detection of gamma radiation of examined objects. Basic equipment:
Department of gamma spectrometry, which is meant for detection of gamma radiation of examined objects. Basic equipment: GC2019 gamma-spectrometer with electrically cooled detector and DSA-1000 digital multi-channel analyzer manufactured in Canberra (USA). Gamma-spectrometer on the basis of high-purity Germanium (HPGe) detector is meant for qualitative and quantitative determination of gamma-emitting radionuclides of natural and technogenic origin in environment and industry objects. Device detects isotopic compound and absolute activity of gamma-emitting radionuclides in samples of different volume and density. Methods of gamma-spectrometry recognize pollution of territory with such extrahazardous radionuclides as strontium, plutonium. Gamma-spectrometry analyses different samples, including samples of water, soil, food and etc. Set and analysis of gamma-spectrum is made by special software. Device is being repaired, and after 4-6 months it will start it will be ready for start. The device is meant for qualitative and quantitative determination of gamma-emitting radionuclides of natural and technogenic origin in environment and industry objects (Potassium-40, Caesium-137, Americium-241).
Department of alpha-spectrometry, which is meant for detection of alpha-emissions of examined objects. Basic equipment:
Alpha Analyst alpha-spectrometer manufactured by Canberra (USA). Instrument is meant for quantification and qualitative identification of alpha-emitting nuclides for studying characteristics of radiation situation at environment control and for organization of radiation protection (Plutonium 239/240). Alpha Analyst is completely integrated alpha spectroscopy instrument for conducting high-accuracy alpha-spectrometry researches.
Department of mass-spectrometry, which determines quantitative and qualitative compound of element content in examined objects. Equipment:
VARIAN 820 ICP-MS liquid-plasma spectrometer is manufactured by “VARIAN” (Australia). Instrument has ability of qualitative and quantitative determination of all periodic table elements from Li to U and their isotopes within one test. Accuracy of test is 10-9; facility for semi-quantitative (with 10-30% margin error) determination of periodic table element content by using single standard sample, which is compounded from 3-10 calibration elements, which are for edges and middle of mass range; operability for detection of artificial elements and their isotopes.
High-performance liquid chromatography department for conducting chromatographic fractionation of substances in examined objects.
- analysis of drugs;
- analysis of forage, mixed fodders and raw material;
- analysis of vitamins, dietary supplement, amino acid composition;
- analysis of micotoxin, benzopyrene in food products;
- analysis of alcohol-free drinks;
- analysis of ecological objects.
Determination of toxic elements (plumbum, cadmium, hydrargyrum, arsenium)
- meat and by-products;
- fish and fish products;
- juices and juice products;
- eggs and egg products;
- bread, bakery and pastry;
- vegetable oil;
- vegetables and fruits;
- alcohol drinks.
Determination of specific activity of gamma-emitting radionuclides and alpha-emitting radionuclides of Plutonium-239, 240 in samples of:
- soil, ground, bottom sediments;
- drinking and natural water;
- forage, hay, plants;
- constructional materials, metal scrap;
- territory, buildings and constructions.
Liquid chromatography determination of:
- A, B, C, D, E, PP vitamins;
- amino acid composition;
- B1, B2, M1, M2 micotoxins;
- benzopyrene in soil, food products;
- pharmaceutical substances.
Quantitative and qualitative analysis of chemical elements using mass-spectrometry method.
Studying topography and surface microstructure of different samples. Obtaining element maps of selected area.
Training, extension courses for staff
On 18-22 February of 2008 and 23-24 May of 2010 JSM-6390 LV scanning electron microscope and INCA ENERGY 250 X-ray spectrometry microanalysis system operation and service trainings were held by workers of “JEOL” company.
On 17-19 March of 2010 V.V. Kozlov, head of Moscow agency of Oxford Instruments, gave a master-class about “Electron-probe microanalysis”.
From 21st to 30th of April 2011 workers of Centre of science of radio ecological researches passed special training with certification in radiation safety and ionizing radiation source management.
From 7th to 8th May of 2012 workers of laboratory (S.T. Dusembaev, D.E. Iminova, O.I. Cheredov) passed courses of ST RK ISO/IEC 17025-2007 “General requirements for competence of testing and calibration laboratory”, “Expression of the Uncertainty of Measurement in Calibration” in the National Centre of Accreditation (Almaty city).
From 9th to 13th July of 2012 D.E. Iminova and Zh.S. Esimbekov were on extension courses on using 820 ICP-MS mass-spectrometer with inductively coupled plasma in the Testing regional Laboratory of engineering profile “Construction and biochemical materials” on the basis of the M.O. Auezov South Kazakhstan State University (Shymkent city).
From 16th to 18th July D.E. Iminova and Zh.S. Esimbekovhad training in Institute of nuclear physics (Almaty city) on “Methods of determination of Plutonium (239+240) artificial radionuclides in environment objects”.
From 15th to 19th of 2012 laboratory worker A.A. Melnichuk was on theoretical extension course on “Metrological provision of industry” (Ust-Kamenogorsk).
From 26th to 30th November of 2012 N.K. Ibragimov and N.K. Omargaliev had training about sample preparation for determination of amino acid compound and vitamins on Shimadzu’s liquid chromatograph in KazNU (Almaty city).
8-15 December of 2012 head of laboratory S.T. Dusembaev was on extension course in K.I. Sryabin Moscow State Academy of Veterinary medicine and biotechnology to theme “Innovative methods in veterinary-sanitary expertise” (Moscow city).
From 9th September to 20th September of 2013 head of laboratory S.T. Dusembaev and senior specialist D.E. Iminova had extension course in technology management, which was held by “Institute of standardization and certification of Kazakhstan” of Committee of technology management of MINT of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Shuchinsk).
Budget extension courses were held on the basis of laboratory:
- 14.05.2012-09.06.2012 – 72 hours on “Methods of valuation and quality determination of agriculture products” for 30 listeners;
- 08.10.2012-31.10.2012 – 72 hours on “Studying chemical compound of new generation foodstuffs” for 30 listeners;
- 08.10.2012-31.10.2012 – 72 hours on “Innovative technologies of functional foodstuff research in cereal-processing industry” for 35 listeners.
Research activity of laboratory
5 research projects of Science Committee of Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan
|№||Direction||Research theme title||Amount of financing for 2012|
|1||2. Deep processing of raw material and products;
2.3 Technology of product processing
|Developing technology of functional food on the basis of animal and plant raw material||500 thousand tenge|
|2||2. Deep processing of raw material and products;
2.3 Technology of product processing
|Developing and upgrading technology of animal raw material processing for forage production||3 700 thousand tenge|
|3||2. Deep processing of raw material and products;
2.3 Technology of product processing
|Developing of new technology of complex wasteless processing of animal raw material for production of combined food||10 000 thousand tenge|
|4||4. Science about life;
4.3 Research in food security
|Developing scientific basis of safety and veterinary-sanitary estimation of products of agriculture livestock, which are raised on the territory of former Semipalatinsk Test Site and adjacent territory||5 500 thousand tenge|
|5||4. Science about life;
4.3 Research in food security
|Research of accumulation of radioactive elements and heavy metals peculiar to Semey region of East Kazakhstan in the animal and plant raw material, and developing technological method of decreasing their content during processing of tested raw material||8 500 thousand tenge|
|Total||32 700 thousand tenge|
Researches for 1 PhD thesis, 12 Master theses and 17 Theses are conducted on the basis of laboratory. Laboratory collaborates and renders services to university scientists and other organizations.
Results of research projects were published and reported on international conferences:
- First International theoretical and practical conference “Modern problems of biomaterials, nanomaterials and nanomadecine” – 17-19 April of 2012;
- 8th International theoretical and practical conference “Ecology. Radiation. Health.” After B. Atchabarova – 28-29th of August in Semey state medical university;
- 5th International conference “Semipalatinsk Test Site. Radiation legacy and prospect for development” – 12-14th September of 2012, Kurchatov city;
- International theoretical and practical conference “Prospect for development of agrarian science and training competitive personnel” – 21st September of 2012.
Regional test laboratory of an engineering profile «Centre of science of radio ecological researches» actively took part in organizing International conference “From prohibition of nuclear tests to the world free from nuclear weapon”. Exhibition of results and laboratory achievements was organized on the basis of “Radiation medicine and ecology” Research Institute.
On 29th of September laboratory staff participated in seminar-conference “Innovative technology – main line of qualitative development of region’s agriculture complex”. Akim of East Kazakhstan oblast, leading scientists and representatives of region’s agrarian sector took part in the work of seminar.
International cooperation and partnership
1. Radiological Technologies University, USA.
2. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, USA.
3. University of Brighton, England.
4. University of Reading, England.
5. Agency of Atomic Energy, Canada.
6. Czech University of Agriculture, Czech Republic.
7. Ankara University, Turkey.
8. Gomel branch of National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Belarus.
9. Kyrgyz State Technical University after I. Razzakov, Kyrgyzstan.
10. Kemerovo Institute of Food Science and Technology.
11. Siberian research university of cheesemaking.
12. Novosibirsk state agrarian university.
13. Tomsk Polytechnic University.
14. Omsk state agrarian university.
15. Irkutsk State Academy of Agriculture.
1. Institute of Radiation Safety and Ecology, Kurchatov city.
2. Scientific-Research Institute for Radiation Medicine and Ecology, Semey.
3. M.O. Auezov South Kazakhstan State University, Shymkent.
4. Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Almaty.
5. Center of Earth Sciences, Metallurgy and Ore Benefication, Almaty.
6. Karaganda State Technical University, Karaganda.
7. Kazakh Academy of Nutrition, Almaty.
8. Innovative University of Eurasia, Pavlodar.
9. Kazakh National Agrarian University, Almaty.
10. Semey state medical university, Semey.
Regional test laboratory of an engineering profile «Centre of science of radio ecological researches»
071412, Kazakhstan, Semey sity, Fizkyltyrnaya st. 4
telephone nomber. 8 (7222) 35-84-57; fax 8 (7222) 35-94-65